My kids LOVE granola bars so much they would eat them continuously all day long if they could. Fortunately they also love to help make them! These bars are their favorite, and mine too – I can hide so many nutritious ingredients packed into every tiny bite.
I bought Angela Liddon’s Oh She Glows cookbook years ago and have loved it every since.
This recipe is adapted from her Present Glo Bar. I’ve added a few more ingredients, took away the pecans (my kids aren’t a fan of those sadly) and changed some quantities but the deliciousness remains the same. The tart cranberries bring so much flavor to them, and they’re perfect for little hands.
These toddler approved gluten free granola bar bites are super quick to put together and require no baking. Chill them in the freezer for a bit and you’re good to go! Be sure to use gluten-free oats if that’s a concern to your little one.
Toddler Approved Gluten Free Granola Bar Bites
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (my kids LOVE cranberries)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- In a pan, heat the brown rice syrup and peanut butter over medium heat until it starts to bubble, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour syrup mixture over dry ingredients and mix well. It should get fairly dense and difficult to mix.
- Press into a parchment paper lined baking pan. I use a 9X9 inch square pan so the bars are a bit thicker to cut into cubes for my kids, but if you’re going for a more traditional granola bar style then a 9×13 would work well. If the mixture sticks to your hands making it difficult to press in, simply wet your hands a bit.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes, then lift the parchment out, and cut the bars up however you’d like.
These will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks or the freezer for 1 month (but good luck keeping them around that long!)
Brown rice syrup is the star here. I agree with Angela on this. Any other type of syrup I’ve tried doesn’t hold the bars together sufficiently and you’ll end up with a very loose bar… much like a cereal type granola. Which would also be delicious, just not what I’m after in a granola bar. It can be tricky to find in the grocery store, but I’ve found it in the “natural” grocery sections as well as on Amazon.
Angela has a few other varieties of her Glo Bars on her website, be sure to check it here!
Let me know what you think! Do your little ones love these as much as mine do?
Looking for more gluten free toddler snacks? Hop over here to see my post of easy gluten free toddler snacks!